Blog Post 9

“Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote” calls the credibility of the narrator into question at the very beginning of the piece.  “I am aware that it is easy enough to call my own scant authority into question.  I hope, nonetheless, that I shall not be prohibited from mentioning two high testimonials” (Menard 88).  Along with questioning the reliability of himself as the narrator, he makes sure to back his reputation up by adding two references of highly esteemed testimonials.  He plays into readers’ conceptions that he might be an unreliable source and banishes any doubts that they might have by validating his reputation with his references of baroness de Bacourt and countess de Bagnoregio.  This idea of unreliability is evident in Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote as well as Cervantes writes, “but this doesn’t matter much, as far as our story’s concerned, provided that the narrator doesn’t stray one inch from the truth” (Cervantes 25).  This idea that the narrator is seemingly unreliable leaves much to question on both tales.  The readers are left wondering how much of what they’re actually reading is reality and what is a fiction of the characters’ or the narrator’s imaginations.